Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mother, Daughter, and now SISTERS!

As many of you know I was thrilled to have Ashley rush @ TCU last fall and pledge Chi Omega! She has had a wonderful experience with her sorority and was officially initiated into her chapter in January. I must admit that it was a very exciting and emotional event for both of us! Never did I think that her being a Chi Omega would be this thrilling, but sharing the bonds of Chi Omega with Ashley has been really amazing. And much to her delight - she now knows the "secret handshake!" Future Nelson woman be prepared to carry on the Chi Omega sisterhood traditions!!
Mother, Daughter AND SISTERS!!!

SOOOO Proud of my Chi Omega Sister!

A bunch of beautiful new TCU Chi Omega Sisters!

Ashley with her "twin" Annabelle and their Big Sister Kathy 

Grandma and Derek came in town to celebrate Ashley's initiation too!
CHI OMEGA MOM'S WEEKEND
The fun never stops - I was back in Fort Worth this weekend for Ashley's Chi Omega Mom's Weekend! Not only was it fabulous to see Ashley and her friends again - but the weather was a welcome change from winter. We enjoyed temperatures in the 70's and 80's and the daffodils were even blooming!
We had a fun-filled weekend, with little time for sleep! Fun and delicious dinners, lots of shopping, going out and pretending to be a college kid again (and realizing that I am NOT), shopping (oh, did I say that already - you don't know how much I have missed it), and then cheering Ashley on as she ran in her first Half Marathon!
Dinner @ La Familia

Mom's & Daughters just wanna have fun....and we did!!!
As Ashley & I were considering what to do on Saturday night, after a full day of shopping in Dallas, she concluded that a nice dinner and rest would be best the night before her half marathon. Darn, why do these kids have to be so responsible - we were supposed to go dancing till the wee hours of the morning with the fraternity guys!!!! Anyway, we found a wonderful Italian restaurant - Piola's. Enjoyed a fabulous meal and turned in early.

COWTOWN HALF MARATHON
I know that I brag about being proud of my kids (don't we all??), but watching Ashley complete this race, was so exciting! She was smiling every time I saw her (yes, I drove to various points during the race, after stopping at Starbucks for the 2nd time, and cheered her and her sorority sisters on....it was the least I could do, since there was no way that I was going to run it with her)! She completed the 13.1 mile race in 2:07:24 (a 9:44 mile pace); 96th place for her age group with just under 300 people in the
division - I was impressed, proud, delighted, jubilant, and yes, just thrilled to be a part of her race. It is humbling to be a parent who is always on the sidelines for your children as they grow up, to then be miles apart from them as they venture off to college and not have that role - I welcomed it back, even for the few moments!
 

Happy at Mile Three!


Still all smiles at Mile Ten!

Almost there - Mile 13...still smiling!

Yahoo - it's over - way to go!!!

 A fabulous weekend of fun and excitement and lots of moments to be proud! Ashley you really are everything and more that a Mom could wish for in a daughter!

I spent my last night in Dallas - couldn't be that close and not stop in and see Derek. He had an extremely busy weekend of studying - yes, even as a Senior (who I believe may have procrastinated on some things)! A quick dinner together and time to purchase a few groceries and that was it. Next time we are in Dallas it will be much more fun as we celebrate Derek's Graduation - yikes, where has the time gone!!!

I returned home to a beautiful "spring" day and a "very happy to see me dog" and husband - although Barry's excitement was not quite as easy to spot as Bella's! The weather is still cool (37 degrees), but sunny and no snow/ice on the streets. So Bella and I took the opportunity to start training for our upcoming race, now that Ashley has inspired us. It felt great to be outside running again, and the scenery was not too bad either!
A beautiful March 1st....no flowers yet. Maybe on May Day - ha!
Jackson Hole Interesting Fact:
America's firsts: First all-woman city council, elected to office in Jackson in 1920; First woman Governor elected; First government in world history to allow women to vote (in 1869, 51 years before the U.S. Constitutional amendment). Wyoming's state slogan is "The Equality State". (You go girls!)

Hug your kids, love your families, see the beauty in the world around you as spring emerges and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment