Friday, October 7, 2011

Winter Wonderland…in October???

Well, as many of my loyal blog followers (ok, so I'd like to think you are out there, humor me!) may have noticed, it seems as if I had fallen off the face of The Grand! Not so, I have just been busy enjoying every minute of my first Jackson Hole summer season. "WOW," is the simplest way to describe it! So why do I finally have time to blog today?
View to the backyard from our deck - SNOW! October 6, 2011!!!!

View to the side yard - MORE SNOW!

Should I have brought the pansies inside? Thought that they could last at least through October! OOPS!

These are the pictures from the top of the Tram on our first snowfall, 10-06-11. For some reason everyone in JH is "Happy" about this!!
They sent out an email promoting skiing in JH with these pictures today - ugh people, it is October!
Yes, summer/fall came to a dramatic end yesterday with the accumulation of 3” of snow! Hard to believe since Barry & I spent last weekend hiking and mountain biking in glorious 80 degree weather.

Although I knew that summer would not last forever, I was at least hoping that Fall would slowly usher us into the long winter season. No such luck, the beautiful fall colors were quickly stripped from the trees this week with a day of rain followed by a day of snowfall. And to think that when this happened last year, on October 24th, I was shocked at the “early arrival” of winter! Funny thing out here, you remember the exact dates of season changes – we received the “gift of summer” on June 22; and the arrival of winter on Oct. 6th! I guess we anticipate for so long, and then the “changes” are always dramatic. Hopefully summer will make an earlier curtain call next year!

Needless to say I am a bit disappointed, but happy to be blogging again (always a silver lining)! And I must admit that I can’t complain, since our new home has 360 degree views of the beautiful Jackson landscape. So I blog to you today looking out at the snow-covered fields bordering the Snake River (not a bad view, I must admit).
My kids don't think that I have a legitimate job, but I sit here today in my "office" sending out this ever-important blog!
Yes, Ashley arrived home last night for her Fall break and was surprised to get off the plane (in her shorts and T-shirt she donned as she departed from the Texas heat earlier in the day) to find a snow-covered winter scene. We are thrilled to have her home for a long weekend and are quickly re-engineering our plans for the weekend due to the recent weather activity…skiing anyone?

So what have we been up to for the last three months that I have been “AWOL?” Well to recap it all may put you into a long winters’ nap, so I have decided to bullet point the highlights, throw in a few pictures, and invite you out to look through our thousands of pictures/scrapbooks if you need more detail! Check out the next Blog entry for “Summer Rewind 2011.”
In the meantime I exalt, "Welcome Winter," it has been such a short summer that my winter coat is still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment