Monday, November 1, 2010

Cure for a Halloween Candy Hangover!

We enjoyed our first Halloween in Jackson Hole and the only negative that I can come up with is that I have a terrible candy hangover today. I swear, I didn't even have a glass of wine last night....ok, a few beers, but just way too much candy! The solution....a well-balanced breakfast:

The cure for a candy hangover!
I know that they always suggest that you buy candy that you don't like, but I have never been able to follow that rule. It was especially impossible this year since I didn't have any kids who went out trick-or-treating that had bags of candy I could raid while they were at school (okay Derek & Ashley - the secret is out)! Needless to say, a few of my favorite things made it into our treat bowl - and surprisingly the few boxes of candy that we had leftover were all Milk Duds! HHHMMMMM how did that work out? I was merely looking out for the welfare of our neighborhood children - Milk Duds can (and do - just ask Ashley) pull out your teeth. No worries, they are almost gone now - I jut don't know how I will cure tomorrow's candy hangover. There are always the 50% off candy sales the day after Halloween - KMart here I come!

The snow in the valley all melted late in the week, and the rains came down all weekend. But, just as it was time for the Town trick-or-treating, the skies cleared. I have never seen anything so cute as all of the little ghosts, goblins, witches, firemen etc. roaming in and out of all of the stores downtown for treats. There were plenty of grown ups dressed for the occasion as well. The best costume by far was an actual Headless Horseman that was riding through the Town Square - it really created an eerie feeling like we were in the Twilight Zone!

A true headless horseman!

 


















We strolled around Town for awhile. Then we joined some new friends at a window table in the Historic Wort Hotel Saloon to watch the Town Square festivities unfold over a cold beer. This is what Halloween is all about! I will admit that it was always so cute/fun to be taking the kids around in their costumes when they were young - bu it seemed that the fun always had a way of going awry before the night was over. Then it was the age when they wanted their independence and we sat home and worried all night whether they would make it home safely. Now it is kind of nice to sit back and relax and enjoy the Holiday! A few more years of this and then I know that I will be energized to take some grandkids out for some Trick-or-Treating and teach them about the good stuff - milk duds & sugar babies!

Today I find myself a bit melancholy as I experience one of the true signs of being an empty nester. It is Ashley's birthday, my "baby" turned the big nineteen - and I am hundreds of miles away from being able to celebrate with her on this special day. Thank goodness for all of the technology we have today - I have been emailing, texting, calling and facebooking her all day (I am sure that she is thrilled)! In the meantime Bella and I had a little celebration for Ashley here at home!

Happy 19th Birthday ASHLEY!
Hope that everyone enjoyed a very safe and Happy Halloween and that you got more treats than tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment