Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's BOO-tiful in Jackson Hole!

The snow has finally arrived - actually we got about six inches in the Valley and 2-3 feet in the mountains on Monday and Tuesday! It is a completely different landscape now - just beautiful. It still mesmerizes me that we actually live here, especially now that it is taking on the look of a ski resort. The more interesting concept is that I refer to the snow "finally arriving," and it is only October!

A very cold Gator!

October in Jackson Hole!

 
No shoveling required yet - the ground
was still very warm!
Neighborhood views

 Speaking of "ski," Barry and I have started the necessary preparations for ski season. Our first step was to sign up for Ski Fitness classes. We go twice a week to  this class/torture - can't believe that we are paying them to do this to us! It is quite inspiring though - there are people at least 25 years younger than us - and we think that we are keeping up with them, and some 15-20 years older than us - and we think that we are keeping up with them too! Life is all a matter of perspective! I must admit that it's a great feeling to go to the class and then come home and down my Advil with a glass of wine. My goal is that I will be able to walk the next day - I am taking it one day at a time! I guess the "goal" of ski fitness is to get you in "mid season condition" before the season starts; if you are in mid-season shape at the beginning of the season, where does that put me in April? I am hoping that, if nothing else, I will at least have some ski fitness classmates that will pick me up when I have fallen on the slopes because they recognize me!

Step two in ski preparation is getting the necessary gear. I must say that if Barry ever thought that my Nordstrom bills were out of control - they don't pale in comparison to what our Sport's Authority bill is going to be this month. But, we are going to be prepared when the season starts - financially wiped out and physically impaired...but prepared! I am seriously thinking that fly fishing or bird watching would have been a much easier and more reasonably priced activity to start with - but who needs money and the ability to walk - we have each other!

So our days and nights are busy with ski training and shopping and of course enjoying Bella. She is still continuing to prove to be a great addition to the family - couldn't ask for more. We start her "official training" on Monday - we will keep you posted if she is a stellar student as we are expecting...she is a Nelson after all! In the meantime she continues to love a good game of fetch - even in the snow!

All smiles, even in the snow!


She lives to retrieve (is that why they call them
Labrador Retrievers?)


Bella LOVES the snow!
We are preparing for a busy Halloween Weekend - they have Trick or Treating on the Town Square from 3-5:00 (Happy Hour on the Square for those of us who don't have little ghosts & goblins) and then home to hand out candy. All I can say is that I feel sorry for the kids and parents who will be trudging through the snow. And also for the neighborhood pumpkins, ghosts and goblins who are bearing nice winter coats and hats!
What's wrong with this picture - snow
and pumpkins and goblins...very confusing!
Do you like my hat?

Snow hats are the latest in Jackson Hole!
Hope that you all have a very happy and safe Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. Guess there will be no more dining al fresco since your patio table is wearing a snow hat also. Lia

    ReplyDelete