Friday, October 1, 2010

Figuring out Life In Jackson Hole

Well vacation is officially over and I have blogged all about it - now it is time to figure out my new life in Jackson Hole. The weather continues to be absolutely beautiful. Haven't seen a cloud since we returned and the temperatures have gotten into the 80's everyday - wish you were here!

I decided that it was time to get back into a routine (other than my current routine of eat, drink wine, sleep, blog, unpack/organize). I went to the community center to check out a class called "Body Fit." I was sure it wouldn't be a problem as it was only a 50 minute class (how lame I thought - they can't even go for an hour here). What I did not consider was that I had not done any type of fitness other than running/hiking for over a month. And of course the other detail: the people who live here are in extremely good shape (remember they ride bikes UP the mountain)!

When I arrived the instructor handed out Gliding Discs (patented high-tech polymer discs) that are about 6" in diameter and very thin. You are to place a disc under each foot and then you can (according to the website) "gracefully move with your body so you get the workout without the work. It's easy to learn and it's fun!" Well.....that statement is a bunch of %@&! Once you place these discs under your feet it is like you are on ice; I have never felt so out of control (and I can't imagine how I looked - I couldn't look up to get a glimpse in the mirror). There was nothing easy about it...and it took a lot of work to try to keep my feet anywhere near my body. Anyway, I guess this is  a popular method of fitness out here to get you in "ski/board shape." The warm up nearly killed me, and then we went into the 50 minute torture of trying to balance on a slippery disc on one foot while the other foot was always somewhere else like on a bench, on a basso ball etc. at the same time you were doing bicep or tricep work with dumbells and lunging (imagine pulling yourself up from a lunge on ice, with dumbells in your hands - impossible). If this class is any indication of what skiing is going to be like for me here, I think that I am going to stay home on the couch! I rarely had my feet controlled and underneath me. Needless to say, that was the longest 50 minutes of my new JH life (I am now thinking that 30 minute classes would be perfect). The bigger problem was the next day - I could barely move...and today (day 2) is even worse. Thank goodness they only have that class on Mon & Wed!  I AM going back though - although I may buy some discs online and practice before I go back. If you want to check out a good way to get into shape before you come visit us to ski the website is http://www.glidingdiscs.com/. Good luck and have fun...they claim it is!!

Yesterday since I could not entertain the thought of exercising or even walking, I decided to go to the ballet. The professional company, Ballet Jazz Danse Montreal has been in residence in Jackson Hole for the past week, culminating with a performance tonight. They had a free open rehearsal session yesterday for an hour and a half. Attending this allowed me to check out the JH Center for the Arts. It is an amazing facility that focuses on both visual and performing arts. They have a variety of classes available (maybe I should take pottery instead of Body Fit) for the community and also a full schedule of performances. They even had the NYC Ballet here this summer! I am soooo excited - there is a great amount of cultural activities/events in this small town.

I was mesmerized by the ability of these dancers, and it was so cool to be sitting right on the stage with them. Their level of athleticism was incredible. I believe that this often goes unnoticed when beneath tights/costumes. Yes, they were practically wearing nothing at rehearsal - nice...lots of male dancers too. Add to that the fact that they spoke french - it was a very enjoyable hour and a half on all accounts! I am trying to get Barry to take me to the performance tonight, but I can't promise that tomorrow's blog will be a review of the Ballet. If you are interested in checking out this company it is worth the time - they blend classical ballet technique with  modern and jazz dance styles - it is beautiful and very eclectic http://www.bjmdanse.ca/ For all of my friends who have daughters in dance - you all were on my mind...wish you were here. The other interesting note is that there were probably 50 people at the public rehearsal - so I will hopefully have friends to go to the ballet with me if I can't get Barry in the door!

After leaving the ballet I was driving through a neighborhood in town, I came to a stop sign and saw this sign in the front yard of a house (I swear I don't go out looking for this stuff - it looks for me)....only in Jackson Hole:


I must say that I am always laughing here - sometimes at the signs and sometimes at myself...and hopefully with some new friends soon (or with old friends/family when they come out to visit - hint).


Another great wine suggestion - Derek & Ashley surprised us with wine, flowers and chocolate in our hotel room when we returned to Dallas for our anniversary (sweet kids I must say). The wine was one that Derek had learned about in his wine tasting class while in Copenhagen (see he did learn something while studying abroad). It is a great wine, and reasonably priced ($25) - Allegrini - Palazzo Della Torre - Veronese (2006). I have gone out and bought two more bottles already since the first went down so easy!  Another good reason to visit - stocking up on the good stuff for you :)
Thanks Derek & Ashley for the thoughtful gift!
Off to enjoy the beautiful day and attempt a run!
Have a fabulous weekend! 
GO GATORS - BEAT BAMA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment