Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Top Ten List

I just returned from what started out as a nice jog and ended up being a full out sprint. No, I wasn't being chased by a bear or moose...just rapidly changing weather...here's today's story:

I spent the morning unpacking boxes in the garage since it was so warm and beautiful outside. Boxes and boxes of Derek & Ashley's schoolwork and artwork (Pre-school through grade 12). I think that I am going to start sending each person in my address book a piece of artwork that Derek or Ashley created between the ages of 2 and 18. Think of it as a thoughtful way of letting you know that I am thinking of you (and also a way for me not to have to actually throw them away or store them). Note to younger parents: don't save stuff your children created for more than a week, hanging on the refrigerator or displayed on the table, they become impossible to part with after that amount of time. The emotional side of unpacking became too much, I figured it was time to reward myself with a run.

I started through the neighborhood and then headed east (away from the big mountain range - Tetons) towards the other mountains (foothills maybe??). I was enjoying the beautiful scenery and of course spending time reflecting on all the changes we have experienced over the past few weeks. I noticed that it was getting a bit cooler, good thing that I had my long-sleeved running shirt on - always prepared these days! Seemed to be getting a bit windy too, and not quite as sunny. Deep in reflection though, and reminiscing about life in Kansas. I checked my watch and realized that I had been running longer than I had anticipated and better turn around so that I wold have enough "steam" to make the loop back home. When I turned around to head back home, with the beautiful backdrop of the Tetons, I realized that a huge storm had come over the mountain range. It was dark, cold, windy, and there were huge bolts of sky to ground lightening striking about every 15-30 seconds. I am not a weather forecaster, but this was a big storm...and where did it come from? Weather in the mountains really can change within minutes. I did not think that it would be prudent to jog home, so I picked up speed and did the last couple of miles at a much faster clip (probably could have won Old Bill's 5K on Saturday at this pace). The storm was actually beautiful to watch as it  moved in over the mountain range, just wish that I had been inside, with a glass of wine, watching instead of trying to run home before it got here. Luckily I made it home safe, dry and exhausted! I am not sure if it is the altitude or just the fact that my workout routine has fizzled, but I always feel out of shape here.  So, now I sit here in the safety of my home blogging, and guess what - the sun is shining. Yeah, real nice trick good ole mother nature played on me!

As I said earlier, while running I thought of my blog theme for today:

TOP 10 LIST OF THINGS I MISS FROM KANSAS

  1. Family and friends - hope that you all are planning to visit soon - I miss you more than you can imagine. Fly, drive, rent an RV....just visit!
  2. Our Home - Not just the fact that everything had a place there (although I am realizing I had way too much "stuff"), but the familiarity of it all. Knowing where the light switches were, being able to navigate in the dark, and knowing that friends were just down the street. Also knowing that we could pick up the phone and call a few friends and it could be a party in an hour! Thankfully I have a beautiful painting of our home as a reminder - thank you!
  3. Newspaper delivered to the house - the JH News is FREE, but you have to go to town to get it, no home delivery. The paper is also only available Mon-Sat - no Sunday paper (or sale fliers). I said NEVER would I own a Kindle, but I may be eating my words...I miss my morning paper with my coffee.
  4. Body Pump Classes @ JCC - I have not joined a gym here yet. Haven't even had time to check them out. Although we have gotten in some good hikes/runs, the only muscle soreness I have is from my tumble on the mountain trail the other day! No comments if my muffin top is bigger when I see you next! 
  5. Mailbox - No home mail delivery here either. Barry & I have to coordinate each day who will get the paper and who will get the mail. No running into friends at the mailbox:(
  6. KC BBQ - I tried some BBQ at a restaurant here - NOT good. We had it so good in KC...Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack, Haywards. I guess that I will have to rely on "Bronco Barry" for BBQ. Good thing I bought him that smoker for Father's Day! Needless to say he has not had 12 hours free to smoke some pulled pork yet, but we are hoping to fire up the smoker when the kids come home in October (if it isn't under 10 feet of snow).
  7. BVW Football - I am not sure if empty nesters attend High School Football games, but for some reason I can't imagine that Barry &  I would not have been there to root on the Jags! If nothing else sports/entertainment for Barry; social opportunity for Michele!
  8. Target - Our one and only store, Kmart, does not hold a candle to Target!
  9. Nordstrom - Enough said. No new outfit for me for TCU family weekend:(
  10. Family & Friends - I can't say it enough, so you make the list twice. You all are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
So  there you have it. Another day in the life of Michele in Wyoming. Off to unpack/organize some more. I am happy to report that all boxes inside are unpacked. Need to hang pictures and finish the garage "project"...there is an end in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment